Greek Salad & Garlic Bread
This nice yummy combination works well at a barbecue, as starter for hungry folks or even as a main course since it’s pretty filling. It’s not exactly health food or fat-free, but hey, a salad is entitled to go wild every once in a while, too, isn’t it?!
For the salad:
1 block of tofu (the natural kind)
salt, 2 tsp.
thyme, majoram, 1/2 tsp. each
1-2 red onions
black olives, a good handful
olive oil, 2 tbsp.
white balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp.
soy yoghurt, 1 1/2 cups
chili powder, turmeric, salad spice (if you happen to have it)
1/4-1/2 cup water
For the garlic bread:
baguette, prebaked (depends on how hungry you are)
margarine, 1 cup
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup parsley
1/3 cup dill
chili powder, 1/4 tsp.
paprika powder, 1/4 tsp.
1. Cut the tofu into little cubes of 1 centimeter. Put in a bowl and add water until the tofu is covered. Add salt, thyme, and majoram. Let sit for a bit (the longer, the better).
2. Now to the garlic and herb butter. Mix margarine, finely chopped garlic cloves, parsley, and dill well. Add chili and paprika powder and salt and pepper to taste.
3. It’s time to cut the baguette(s). Pretend you would be cutting it into nice little slices, but don’t cut all the way through. Then spread the garlic/herb butter with a knife between all slices. Put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes (depends on the bread and your oven) on 400° Fahrenheit (or 200°C).
4. Slice the tomatoes into half moons, wash and cut the lettuce, and chop the onions and olives.
5. For the dressing, mix the soy yoghurt with white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste), a pinch of turmeric and chili as well as a teaspoon of salad powder. Then add water until your desired thickness is reached.
6. Mix the salad veggies, drained tofu and dressing.
7. Serve with the hot garlic bread.