Zucchini Lasagna With Champignons, Tofu, Walnuts and Basmati Rice
Today, I felt like walnuts, and I felt like something topped with a lot of béchamel sauce. So the resulting zucchini-tofu-champignon-walnut lasagna might not exactly be low fat, sorry folks. But once in a while you just have to indulge yourself, right?
Serve this savory mock lasagna (since you won’t actually find any pasta in there) with a side of rice, bulgur, potatoes, or whatever you feel like.
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
walnuts, 1 cup, chopped roughly
champignons, 3 cups, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
1 shallot (or take a plain old onion instead)
tofu (regular kind), 1 block, crumbled
2 tbsp. breadcrumbs
1 cup soy creamer
2 tsp. vegetable broth (powder)
2 tbsp. water
1 + 3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. margarine
2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
paprika powder (sweet)
1. Place the tofu in a frying pan. Fry for some minutes before adding the shallots and mushrooms, then keep roast gently for five to ten minutes or so (however long it takes the tofu to brown a little).
2. Add the water, vegetable broth, 1 tbsp. of the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, provencal herbs and paprika powder, and 2 tbsp. of the soy creamer, mixing everything well. Let simmer for a bit.
3. In another frying pan, roast the sliced zucchini in some olive oil. Add salt, pepper and some of the parsley. Sauté both sides for about half a minute on medium heat.
4. In a casserole dish, begin with a layer of the tofu-mushroom mixture. Add some of the zucchini slices as if they were lasagna sheets. Repeat until everything is used up.
5. In a sauce pan, melt the margarine, then add 3 tbsp. flour. Mix well, then add the remainder of the soy creamer and 1 tsp. salt. Put on top of the lasagna, then add 1 tbsp. breadcrumbs and the rest of the parsley.
6. Put in the oven for 20 minutes (400° F).
7. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, prepare your rice. According to how much you desire, add 1 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice. Bring to a boil, then put the lid on and turn off the heat, but leaving the sauce pan on the same cooking plate. It should be done in 15 minutes or so, just in time for the lasagna!